Roulette is a classic casino game. This is another casino game that is now just as fun to play at an online casino as it is at a land casino – thanks to great new casino game software achievements. Known to be able to calm even the most savage of online casino players, this slower paced game is enjoyed by thousands of online casinos players.
Introduction to Roulette Online
Because it is a slower moving casino game, it tends to attract more subdued players. Make no mistake, just because it is known as a bit of a sophisticated game, it isn’t just for the upper-crust European player anymore.
Roulette is gaining more popularity today because of the online casino boom and the new appeal that Vegas has in general. The roulette wheel is just about the most recognizable symbol of all casino games.
Roulette is the perfect game of chance, easily learned, it does not require skill or strategy. This makes many online casinos players wonder why it used to be considered the game for the rich and sophisticated anyway.
A roulette wheel has 38 numbered slots. The slots are colored red, black, or green. Numbers 1 through 36 are divided evenly between red and black color. Green is only used in the numbers 0 and 00. There are two types of roulette wheels – American and European. We will get into that later.
The numbers are ordered to achieve as much balance as possible among high and low, red and black, odd and even. For instance, directly across the wheel from every odd number is the next highest even number. Black and red alternate – pairs of even numbers alternate with pairs of odd numbers.
The croupier (dealer) spins the wheel counterclockwise and releases a small plastic ball clockwise on a track on the upper part of the wheel. When the ball slows down it eventually lands and rests into one of the slots on the wheel.
Most roulette wheel games at online casinos and land casinos alike can accommodate 6-8 players. On the table you will see a layout containing all 38 numbers.
As with any online casino game – be sure to choose the roulette game that suits you betting requirements first. Typically, if you are playing at a $5 min. table, you must place at least $5 at a time on outside bets, but only have to place a total of $5 on inside bets. An example of an outside bet would be betting on black or red – odd or even. An example of an inside bet is when you bet on a specific number. Be sure to read our Roulette Lingo page for full definitions of these terms. Roulette players are given color coded chips when playing this game in order to keep track of who is betting what and where.
After the ball rests in the slot that it has finally landed at, the dealer will call out the winning number. A clear glass marker is set directly on the winning number betting area on the table and the table is then swept clear of all losing bets. The dealer then pays all winning wagers.
Earlier, we mentioned that there are two kinds of Roulette wheels – American and European. American wheels have the ’00’ (meaning it has two green slots – 0, 00) and European wheels don’t. If you have the choice, play he European wheel every time. The house edge is better for the casino player. See our Roulette Tips section for details.
Roulette Online Tips
Here are a few tips for playing roulette at online casinos and land casinos.
- In the US, roulette is not the best of bets as far as odds go. The American wheel gives the house a 5.26% edge. If you can, find a European wheel that you can play online. The house edge on the European wheel is only 2.70%. Additionally, if en prison is offered, the edge is even better for the player – it is only 1.35%.
- No betting system will change the online casino’s advantage when playing roulette. This also stands for playing at land casinos.
- A fair roulette wheel can’t be beat in the long term.
- Look for online casinos that offer surrender, this feature cuts the house edge to 2.63% on even-money bets.
- Never make the 5 number bet – 0,00,1,2 and 3. The house edge is an overwhelming 7.89%.
- Remember, this is a great casino game of chance. There is no such thing as a professional roulette player. This is not poker. The game provides great highs and lows like poker, but it is more of a chance-taking casino game.
To be honest, roulette bets and strategy are pretty straight forward. In this section, we will go over the different types of roulette bets. By understanding these aspects of this casino game, players will be able to make more informed decisions when playing this game.
- Outside Bets – These wagers are placed outside the 38 numbers of the layout on the roulette table. They refer to groups of numbers or colors. All outside bets lose if the ball lands in the 0 or 00 slot.
- Red Or Black – This is a bet that the winning number will be the color the player bets on. This bet pays even money.
- Odd or Even – This a bet that the winning number will be either an odd or even number. This bet also pays even money.
- Low or High – This is a bet that the winning number will either be low (1-18) or high (19-36). Again, this bet pays even money.
- Columns – This is a bet on the 12 numbers in any one of the 3 columns on the layout. Typically, you will see a space called 2 to 1 at the bottom of the column you want to bet on.
- Dozens – This is a bet on the first dozen numbers (1-12), the 2nd dozen of numbers (13-24) or the 3 dozen of numbers (25-36). This bet pays 2 to 1.
- Inside Bets – These are the bets made on specific numbers or combinations of numbers either within the number layout on the roulette table or on its border.
- Straight Up Bet – This is a bet on a single number (including 0 or 00). This bet is the longest shot in roulette. It pays 35 to 1.
- Split Bet – This is a bet on any 2 numbers. If either of the 2 numbers win, the bet pays 17 to 1.
- Street Bet – This is a single bet. It pays 11 to 1. This covers 3 numbers in a row.
- Corner Bet – This bet is commonly known as a square bet or quarter bet. This bet is a single bet on 4 adjoining numbers that form a square. If any of the 4 numbers win, the bet pays 8 to 1.
- 5 Number Bet – There is only one 5 number bet. It is a good thing that there is only one 5 number bet because it is the worst one a player can make – avoid it. We are not even going to bother getting into it with you.
- Six Number Bet – This bet is commonly known as the line bet. This bet covers 2 adjacent rows of numbers. The bet pays 5 to 1.
Roulette mathematics are very simple. If you are not interested in the meanings of roulette odds, be sure to at least understand that all the bets in American roulette (except one) give the house a substantial advantage of 5.26%. The one exception is is worse., the 5 number bet – avoid it. It has a 7.29% house edge.
Below, we will explain the different options and rules that apply to this great casino game. BY reading this section, you will better informed as to the workings of his online casino game.
Surrender is a beneficial rule found at certain roulette games. Before, you begin game-play at any roulette wheel, ask to see if this rule applies. This rule is involved only on the outside bets that pay even-money. Meaning, the red/black, odd/even, and high/low bets. If the ball lands on 0 or 00, you will only lose half of your wager instead of all of it. This rule reduces the casino’s edge on even-money wagers to 2.63%. Even-money bets become twice as good as other bets. Basically, you are just sacrificing the chance of a big payout. This is a safer way to play roulette.
If you can find a roulette wheel that has only the single zero (American wheel), it is rare that you will be offered this rule at it.
The European Wheel
This casino game is played differently in Europe (or where ever you can find a European wheel). The big difference is that the wheel only has 37 numbers (only one zero – single digit). For online casino gamblers, this is definitely addition by subtraction. The simple absence of the 00 pocket drops the house advantage to 2.70% on all wagers. There is also no 5 number bet, thankfully.
The payoffs for all the wagers on the European wheel are the same as for the American wheel.
Also used when playing the European wheel, en prison is another rule. It is similar to the surrender rule in spirit. In this case, if you make an even-money bet and the ball lands on zero, your money ids not removed from the table. Instead, it is considered to be in prison. Its fate will be determined on the very next spin of the roulette wheel. If the en prison bet comes in on that very next spin, your original bet is yours to keep – but with no additional winnings. If your wager loses, you then lose your original bet. Now, if zero should happen to hit again, the wager remains in prison.
The house advantage with this rule on even-money bets is reduced 50% to a very attractive 1.35%.
Below, we have listed many of the most commonly used terms associated with the online casino game of roulette. Also, at the bottom of this page you will find a listing of terms commonly used when playing this casino game on European online casino sites.
American wheel: This is a roulette wheel with 0 and 00.
Biased wheel: This is a wheel that favors particular sections of numbers out of proportion to probability, due to flaws in manufacture or replacement. Extremely rare and not recommended to be counted on.
Column bet: This is a wager that any one of the numbers in the 3 columns of 12 numbers will come up.
Corner bet: This is a single wager that is made on 4 numbers at a time by placing a bet on the point where the boxes of 4 numbers meet.
Croupier: European name for a dealer. Also commonly used when playing baccarat.
Dozen: This is a wager on either the first dozen numbers (1-12), the second dozen (13-24), or the third dozen (25-36). This bet pays 2 to 1.
En prison: This is an option only allowed when playing a European wheel when a 0 comes up. Even-money wagers are held over to the next roll instead of being lost.
European wheel: This is a roulette wheel where there are 37 pockets. It does not have the 00 that the American wheel has. This is the recommended type of wheel to play roulette on if you can find one online.
Inside: These are bets made on the individual numbers or combinations of these numbers on a layout closest to the dealer.
Line bet: When playing roulette this is a 6 number wager covering 2 adjacent rows of numbers, placed on one of the outside lines at the intersection of 2 rows.
Outside: This is a wager made on the outer part of the layout, furthest from the dealer. This includes even-money wagers, column bets, and even dozen bets.
Pocket: This is simply the slot where the ball will rest – marked by numbers 00, 0-36.
Street: This is a bet placed on a set of 3 numbers.
Below, you will find a complete list of terms you are most likely due to hear at a European roulette casino game. Not every European wheel feature only French terms, but if you are playing this casino game at a French online casino or in say Monte Carlo, you will want familiarize yourself with these terms.
En plein – Straight-up bet.
A cheval – Split bet.
Transversale – Street bet.
Carre – Corner bet.
Sixaine – Line bet.
Rouge/noir – Red/black.
Impair/pair – Odd/even.
Passe/manque – High/low.
Douzaine – Dozen bet.
Colonne – Column bet.
Below, are a few bets that are typically available in European casinos:
Quatre premiers – The first 4 numbers (0, 1, 2, 3)
Quatre derniers – The final 4 numbers (33, 34, 35 and 36)
Voisins – A neighbor bet. A number and the 2 numbers on either side of it on the wheel.